Let’s spice up your Thanksgiving dinner with this Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread. It is quick and easy for that perfect last minute bread recipe or if you just change your mind about plain dinner rolls. This corn bread has the perfect amount of salty sweet, super moist and slightly spicy. I only left the seeds in the jalapeno rings on top of the bread so once in a while you’ll get a real spicy bite of bread. I deveined and removed the seeds from the chopped jalapeno that is mixed into the batter so they were not spicy at all. If you want more heat, chop the whole jalapeno, seeds and all (well… just not the stem), and throw everything into the batter.
Oh and did I mention the cheese?? Shredded cheddar is folded into the cornbread batter AND sprinkled liberally on top as well! The cheese along with the buttermilk keeps the bread super moist. This was gone in no time! And it’s sort of whole grain since I used white whole wheat flour along with corn meal instead of all-purpose flour 🙂 .
I’m really liking white whole wheat flour nowadays. I’ve been using it a lot even baking scones and cookies. It’s made from white wheat berries instead of the traditional red wheat berries. It is lighter in color compared to the regular whole wheat flour (seriously a whole lot lighter!) and a lot milder in flavor. Because of the milder flavor, I think it works well in a lot of recipes that you may not want that strong “whole wheat” flavor (like cookies!!). It really has become a baking stable in my kitchen!
On that note, here’s the recipe! (adapted from Paula Deen’s Moist and Easy Cornbread)
- 1 cup corn meal
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter – melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs – room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk – room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 jalapenos
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Butter a 10” cast iron pan or baking dish.
- Devein and seed one jalapeno and chop into small pieces. Slice the other jalapeno into rings, leave the seeds or tap them out.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the corn meal, white whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt, mix together.
- In a small bowl, add eggs, butter and buttermilk, beat to combine.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Using a spatula, fold the dry and wet ingredients together until thoroughly mixed.
- Fold in 1 cup of shredded cheddar and the chopped jalapeno. Mix ever so lightly.
- Pour the batter into the buttered cast iron pan or baking dish.
- Sprinkle the rest of the shredded cheese and spread the jalapeno rings on top of the batter.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the top of the bread is slightly crispy.
- Let cool for 10 – 15 minutes before serving.