Hey there, it seems we are missing some cookies around here lately. I sure miss having something small to snack on with my afternoon tea when I need a little pick me up from that after lunch sleepiness. I think these lemon shortbread cookies will do the job perfectly! Buttery, lemony, and just sweet enough.
Don’t you worry though, there will be a lot more cookies coming around this part of the internet very soon because my house turns into a little cookies warehouse during the holidays. I really can’t wait… if there’s anything I love as much as cookies, and bread, and cakes, and baked things, it has to be all the upcoming holidays.
This weather and the holiday season, especially Thanksgivings and Christmas, are the perfect excuse for me to bake, not that I ever needed an excuse… Is it too early to be talking about Thanksgiving and Christmas?? Maybe a little bit?? But if the stores are already selling Christmas decoration, I don’t see a reason why I can’t talk about it!! Fine, I will spare you the holiday rambles and save it for another day.
Back to shortbread cookies… Before I know how to bake, I used to eat these Walker’s shortbread cookies in those black and red plaid pattern boxes, and they were oh em gee delicious. At the time, I was just a wee little kid, and shortbread was as fancy as dressing up for the holidays. They were a treat, and not an everyday thing. But now that I’ve started making my own, everyday can be as fancy as shortbread and tea. It also helps curb the impulse purchases of cookies… Except now I impulse buy baking sheet, and cupcake liners, and cookie cutters, and things…
Lately, I’ve wanted to experiment with adding different flavors to shortbread cookies. A thought popped in my head, when life gives you lemon… make lemon shortbread cookies. And just like that, these lemon shortbread cookies were born.
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- A pinch of salt
- 4 oz (1 stick) unsalted butter – soften
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Extra sugar for sprinkling
- Measure out the flour and salt into a small bowl, mix and set aside.
- Add sugar and lemon zest in a medium mixing bowl. Rub lemon zest and sugar together until fragrance.
- Add butter to the sugar mixture and beat with the paddle attachment until combined.
- Add vanilla and mix.
- Add flour to the sugar mixture, mix on low speed until dough comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board, shape into a rectangle. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Roll the dough out into a 9”x6” rectangle. It doesn’t have to be perfect. Divide into nine 3”x2” rectangles.
- Transfer the dough to a parchment paper lined baking sheet and place in the freezer.
- Preheat oven to 350°F while the cookies are resting in the freezer.
- When the oven is ready, take the baking sheet out of the freezer, sprinkle sugar over the top of cookies generously and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.