Time flies when you’re having fun. I can’t believe the week is already over. Tomorrow, we’ll have to pack up and go back home to our routines and jobs, to normality. I know we’ll be back again sooner or later, and perhaps one day, permanently. 😉 But today, the focus is on these Pina Colada Cupcakes, a pineapple coconut cupcake topped with a rum infused whipped cream and toasted coconut chips! Oh, so good!
The cake is moist and light with a blend of tropical ingredients. The whipped cream is airy with a kick of Malibu rum and toasty coconut. They really do taste like a Pina Colada, except this one you chew instead of sip. And I promise you, they will transport you to the island in one bite. Not literally, but they might encourage you to plan your next trip or go on your computer and book a flight. I cannot guarantee sensible thinking once the rum kicks in.
All jokes aside, these pina colada cupcakes just went on my list of favorite-cupcakes-I-have-ever-made. I love the tropical notes in the cake, the wonderful aroma of toasted coconut, the light and airy feel of the whole ensemble, the let-me-have-another-bite taste. Everything about them screamed tropical vacation and I want more! Make them this weekend, you will not be disappointed. I hope you will enjoy them and that you will be as excited about them as I was. 😊
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup chopped pineapple – pureed
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 + 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon Malibu Rum
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut chips - toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a regular size cupcake pan with cupcake liner.
- In a small bowl, measure out flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and sugar, mix well with a whisk and set aside.
- Puree 1 cup of chopped pineapple in a food processor, this will yield approximately 1/2 cup of pureed pineapple.
- Add the pureed pineapple, coconut milk, oil, egg, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl and beat with a whisk to combine.
- Slowly pour the flour mixture into the liquid mixture while slowly whisking with the other hand. Mix only until combine, use a spatula to scrape any flour on the side of the bowl and mix up anything at the bottom of the bowl.
- Divide batter equally among 12 cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes until an inserted toothpick in the middle of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Add cold heavy whipping cream, sugar, vanilla and rum to a mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed until stiff peak forms. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Toast the coconut chips in a skillet over medium heat until the edges turn golden brown. Let cool completely before using.
- Transfer frosting to a pastry bag fitted with the star tip, top cupcakes with frosting.
- Break up the larger pieces of toasted coconut chips with your fingers and garnish cupcakes generously.
- Optional: decorate with colorful straws, or cocktail umbrellas.
2. Best enjoy within 1 – 2 days, but you can store cupcakes in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.