These Pumpkin Pie Spice Cupcakes are the perfect dessert for Fall. And they are topped off with a velvety smooth tangy cream cheese frosting.
The weather has been so pleasant this week, I’m starting to think that Fall is FINALLY here (cross my fingers, hope I didn’t jinx it). Sweater is required early in the morning now when I take the dogs out for their little morning excursion. And I’m sitting here typing this to you at 3 pm in my upstairs office in t-shirt and leggings, no sweat, literally no SWEAT! I’m loving this!
October is the month of pumpkin for sure, there are just so many pumpkin recipes out there that I want to try, like this pumpkin spiked latte (not spiced guys, SPIKED!) and this awesome pumpkin bread with pears baked in! And of course, I had my fluffy pumpkin pancakes earlier this month 😉 . Now let’s continue the pumpkin madness with these pumpkin pie spice cupcakes!
I’ve made these every year during this time. Same recipe every single time, and delicious every single time. They’ve got real pumpkin of course, and tons of pumpkin pie spice to kick up the flavor, topped off with a creamy cheesy frosting. These will always be one of my favorites no matter how many cupcakes I try, right up there with these banana split cupcakes. But a lot simpler to make, just one cupcake batter, one frosting, no need for fancy filling. The pumpkin and the spices and the cream cheese frosting will still have a party in your mouth.
They keep well and stay moist for several days in the fridge. Just thaw them a bit to soften the frosting before eating if you stash them in the back of the fridge for safe keeping 😉 . Ooo and decorate them with these pumpkin mellowcreme and they would fit in perfectly at your Halloween party!
Pumpkin Pie Spice Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (I used canned pumpkin)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk – room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg – room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese – room temperature
- 4 oz unsalted butter – room temperature
- 3/4 cup powder sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a regular size cupcake pan with cupcake liner.
- Sift the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder and pumpkin pie spice together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Put all the wet ingredients, pumpkin, buttermilk, oil, and egg in a medium mixing bowl and beat to combine.
- Slowly pour the flour mixture into the liquid while mixing at slow speed. Mix only until combine, use a spatula to scrape any flour on the side of the bowl and mix up anything at the bottom of the bowl.
- Divide batter equally among 12 cups.
- Bake for 17 minutes until an inserted toothpick in the middle of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the frosting, cream the cream cheese and butter together until fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Add powder sugar and mix to combine.
- Transfer frosting to a pastry bag fitted with the star tip, top cupcakes with frosting.