I’m sneaking in a little apple recipe for the doggies today. I couldn’t forget about my little furry babies while enjoying all the apple treats I made this week now, could I? Well, you think they would LET me forget about them, sitting there at my feet every time I eat something, hovering over me while I’m baking in the kitchen. NO WAY! They have their way to tell me it’s time for some apple pup pies!
These apple pup pies are super cute (wouldn’t you agree, yes?), and obviously Lily and Sriracha approved. But I’m not gonna lie, they were a pain in the arse to make. Those lattice top, O.M.G., I must have stood in the kitchen for an hour just cutting and lining them up. So… not to discourage you or anything, but proceed with caution, you’ve been warned! If I make these next time, I may not make the lattice top for every single pie. I’ll probably use a small cookie cutter to stamp out little shapes to top the pies, at least for a portion of them, or all of them… That would make it much quicker.
However, I do think it was worth the time. They came out perfectly pretty! And the process was quite fun (well… for me anyways). Not that your dogs would care if they weren’t lattice top. They would appreciate them either way. My favorite taste testers, they never complain! So if you have some free time this weekend, make these for your little (or big) furry friends. 🙂
Happy Friday and have a great weekend guys!
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup apple butter
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Half an apple
- Slice half the apple into thin slices then cut into ¼” strips and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add egg and apple butter in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the flour and mix with a spatula until a dough form.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead a few times to form a disk, then roll the dough out to 1/16” thick.
- Use a 2” round cookie cutter and cut out 24 circles.
- Place the circles into a 24 cup mini cupcake pan, lining each cup as if you were lining a pie pan, use your finger to push the middle of the dough down and slightly press it against the side of the cup. You want it to be somewhat loose and not completely pressed against the sides. The edge of the dough should be about ¼” from the top of the cup.
- Divide the fresh apple strips among the 24 mini pies.
- Gather the dough scrap and reroll to 1/16” thick. At this point, you can cut the dough into thin strips to make lattice top. Just a warning, making lattice top for these mini pup pies is a VERY tedious process. If you prefer something quick, simply cut the dough into shapes with a smaller cookie cutter and place on top of the fresh apple.
- To make lattice top, cut the dough into ⅛” thick by 1 ½” long strips. You will use 6 strips per pie. Place 2 strips on the left and right of the pie, place a third strip in the middle but perpendicular to and on top of the previous 2 strips. Place a fourth strip perpendicular to and on top of the third strip, this strip will be in between and parallel to the first 2 strips. Place the last to strips parallel to and to the right and left of the third strip, these will be on top of the fourth strip, but underneath the first two strips. Repeat for all the pies.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Turn off oven, leave the oven door closed, let the pies cool and dry out in the oven for a few hours or overnight.
- Place in an air tight container and store in the refrigerator.
I think it took me about an hour just to cut and assemble the lattice top. So if you really like the look, I suggest doing half lattice top and half cookie top, just to save some times.
“I will pee on you while you’re asleep!”