This Autumn Pimm’s Cup is the Fall version of the popular Summer Pimm’s cup cocktail. This is an easy recipe that you can add to your holiday menu without very much extra effort.
“This post first appeared over at Sugar & Soul where I’m a contributor.”
The Pimm’s cup cocktail is my favorite Summer drink of all time. So this year, I decided to make an Autumn Pimm’s Cup using apple cider and fresh apples to highlight the flavors of the season. We usually serve hot Spiced Apple Cider at our Thanksgiving dinner. But this light cocktail would be a great addition for the adults, without getting anyone too tipsy.
Everything You Need to Know about Pimm’s Cup
- What is a Pimm’s Cup? Pimm’s Cup is a cocktail made with Pimm’s No. 1 liqueur, traditionally an English specialty drink meant to be served in a tall glass, usually during summer.
- What is Pimm’s No. 1? Pimm’s No. 1 is a gin-based liqueur 25% ABV invented by James Pimm, infused with herbs, spices, fruits and botanicals. The others, Pimm’s No. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 are based on Scotch, Brandy, Rum, Rye Whiskey and Vodka. Many of these have been phased out.
- What can go in a Pimm’s Cup? Ice, Pimm’s No. 1 and a carbonated beverage like ginger ale, variations have been made with lemonade, and ginger beer. Fruits and herbs like strawberry, lemon, lime, orange, cucumber, mint as well as apple can be added as garnish and also to enhance the cocktail’s flavor.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- For a stronger cocktail, you could replace regular sparkling apple cider with hard apple cider.
- The recipe included in this post makes enough to serve four. But you can easily scale up for larger parties, and also scale down (one glass at a time) for a more intimate get together.
- Lemon is used in this recipe mainly to keep the prepared apple pieces from oxidizing or turning brown as they sit out, waiting to be used as garnish for your drink. This way the apple garnish can be made way in advance. It is especially useful if you are planning to make one serving at a time.
- Since this cocktail is made using a sparkling drink, serve it immediately to preserve the fizz.
This lighter cocktail would be a great addition to any of the upcoming holiday dinner parties you are hosting. It is so easy to throw together even at the last minute. So enjoy this delicious Autumn Pimm’s Cup and have a wonderful Thanksgiving next week!
Autumn Pimm’s Cup Recipe
- 1 cup Pimm’s No. 1
- 1 bottle sparkling apple cider about 25 ounces
- 1 - 2 apples
- 1 lemon
- Cinnamon sticks for garnish optional
Wash the fruits, squeeze lemon juice into a shallow bowl. Slice and/or cube the apples and immediately toss the pieces in the lemon juice, set on a paper towel to dry off.
Add apple pieces from 1 apple, Pimm’s No. 1 and sparkling apple cider to a pitcher, stir to mix.
Serve immediately over ice.
Garnish with some more apple slices or cinnamon stick if desire.