Happy belated national dog day! I couldn’t believe my dogs didn’t tell me!!! But hey, better late than never. I’m sure they don’t care because it’s national dog day all year long ‘round here. I made these banana peanut butter dog treats a while ago actually, but I was waiting for the right time to post since I didn’t want to flood the blog with dog treat recipes… and this is the perfect occasion, almost perfect, if only it was Tuesday right now. Just a heads up, I’ve got pup cake and pup pie in mind, so sometime in the future… sometime…
About the treats, these are super easy and Lily & Sriracha approved. Since Sriracha is quite the picky eater, you can definitely trust him. If you ever have overripe bananas lying around and you don’t want to eat them, your pups will thank you because they will be soft and perfect for this recipe. You can also substitute the banana with puree pumpkin or smashed sweet potato. Change things up a little once in a while. If you don’t want to use all-purpose flour, by all means substitute whole wheat flour or any other flour you like to use to bake for your dogs. They will appreciate it no matter what!
My dogs are tiny, so I always make the treats a bit thinner, between 1/8”-1/4” thick, and smaller, less than 2”. This recipe yields A LOT of treats for the size I make, I counted 44! But you can definitely make them larger to suit your dog’s taste, just adjust baking time. If your dogs like meaty more than fruity, check out these Meaty bits dog treats. 🙂 Happy baking time with your pups!
Easy dog treats with just 5 ingredients that your pup will love!
- 2 overripe bananas – smashed about 1 cup
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cup + 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Extra flour for rolling and cutting dough
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, add the smashed bananas, peanut butter and egg, whisk vigorously to combine.
- Mix the flour and cinnamon in another bowl and add to the banana mixture. Mix with a spatula or wooden spoon until dough is formed.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured board, and pat into a ball, then roll dough out to between 1/8” – 1/4” thick.
- Cut dough with a cookie cutter or just with a knife into desired size, dip the cutter or knife into flour frequently to prevent sticking. Re-roll the scraps and continue cutting. I used a 1 ¾” fluted cookie cutter, this makes about 44 treats.
- Place treats on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 40 minutes until deep brown. The longer you bake, the harder the treats will be, but don’t burn it.
- Let cool completely before serving.