And just like that, June is here and spring is almost over… again. Even though I’ve been out of school for a long time, I still feel nostalgic whenever I’m sitting at my desk early in the morning and everything is quiet, especially with Ryan’s graduation just passed. It feels like those lazy summer days are supposed to come when I had nothing to do but sprawl out on the grass basking in the sun or reading a book under a shaded tree, waiting for mom to come home from work, not a worry in the world.
I still remember the smell of summer, of grass burning in the sun, of salt in the air, of chlorine and sunscreen. Summer is different here compared to the summers I spent growing up in Vietnam. The heat is not as oppressive, and although I do miss the rain, I don’t miss the humidity. But I miss that feeling of newness summer brought. And for some strange reason, I miss the feeling of being a teenager, even though I wouldn’t relive those awkward days at any price.
It’s funny how when you’re young you want to be grown up, and when you’re grown up you realize you should have taken advantage of those younger days. Like maybe I should have gone to the beach more often, taken a photography or ceramic class, learned how to skateboard or played an instrument, especially I should have spent more time and paid more attention to my grandmother in the kitchen. There are so many Vietnamese dishes that I miss but I have no idea how to cook. And really good Vietnamese food is hard to come by here.
Today’s recipe, banana peanut butter with rolled oats dog treats, is neither summer related nor Vietnamese. But I suppose it fits in with the randomness of my ramblings. 🙂 And no summer vacation is complete with spoiling your dogs, not just summer, but all year round really. 😉
Banana Peanut Butter with Rolled Oats Dog TreatsPrint Pin Rate
- 1 small ripe banana
- 1/4 cup of creamy peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, smash the banana with a potato smasher. Add peanut butter and egg and whisk vigorously to combine.
- Add 1 cup of flour to the mixture and mix with a wooden spoon to form dough.
- Add 1/2 cup of rolled oats and combine with the dough, knead the rolled oats into the dough using the spoon or your hand.
- At this point, start to add more flour, up to 1/2 cup to achieve desired dough consistency, something between pie and bread dough, not too sticky.
- Sprinkle some flour on a cutting board and turn the dough out, knead and shape into a disk.
- Roll dough out to about 1/4" thick. Cut with a 2” bone shape cookie cutter, and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet about 1/2” apart.
- Reshape scraps and roll out again to 1/4” thick and continue cutting out treats until finished. This will yield approximately 2 dozens.
- Bake for 40 minutes, flip treats half way through baking time.
- Turn off the oven when done and leave them in the oven to dry overnight.
- Store in an airtight container or Ziploc bag. If the treats are baked until they really dry out, they could last outside for a while but I always store them in the fridge just to be safe.