Serve this Cardamom Apple Coffee Cake with a hot cup of coffee on a crisp Autumn morning for a cozy and delicious breakfast.
If you give me the choice of a savory or a sweet breakfast, I’m always gonna go with sweet. A slice of this Cardamom Apple Coffee Cake served with coffee will make the coziest breakfast on a crisp Autumn morning. I certainly wouldn’t mind a second slice either, because all of my favorite Fall flavors are baked up perfectly in this delicious coffee cake.
How to Make Cardamom Apple Coffee Cake
The cake batter is made with lots of plain yogurt and dark brown sugar to yield a moist texture and a deep almost toffee like flavor that complements apple so well. I used a large Fuji apple which yields about 2 cups when diced. Any other variety will work well in this recipe, best to pick one you enjoy snacking on. You know how they say cook with the wine you like to drink, same idea! The diced apple is then folded into the batter, which will release moisture as it is baked and keep the cake even moister.
The streusel topping, spiced with cinnamon and cardamom, is really the star here. You must sprinkled all of this over the top of the cake batter before baking, don’t skimp, use it all. I bake this cake in a springform pan so I don’t have to flip the cake over to remove it. If you don’t have a springform pan, just bake it in a regular cake pan that you can cut and serve out of without worrying about scratches.
This Cardamom Apple Coffee Cake is definitely my kind of breakfast, or should I say dessert disguised a breakfast? What’s the difference really? You’re talking to a girl who will eat pancakes for dinner and noodles for breakfast. It’s all fair game in my world. No matter what label you want to give it, this cake will definitely bring coziness and deliciousness into your world. So enjoy!
More Apple Recipes for Breakfast
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag me @wildwildwhisk on Instagram. I’d love to see what’s cooking up in your kitchen. Cheers!
Cardamom Apple Coffee Cake
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 large egg
- 4 oz unsalted butter - soften
- ⅔ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large apple - peeled and diced (yields about 2 cups)
- 6 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespooon granulated sugar
- 1.5 oz unsalted butter – cold
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- Let all refrigerated ingredients come to room temperature.
- Brush a 9” springform pan with butter and line the bottom with parchment paper, brush the parchment paper with butter as well.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make the streusel, combine flour, sugar, cardamom and cinnamon in a small bowl, mix together thoroughly with a whisk.
- Cut the cold butter into small cube and add to the dry mixture.
- Use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the dry mixture until coarse crumbs form. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In another small bowl, measure out flour, salt, and baking powder, mix together thoroughly with a whisk and set aside.
- Add soften butter and dark brown sugar in the stand mixer bowl and beat with the paddle attachment until combined an light.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract, beat to combine.
- Stir in a third of the dry ingredients and then half of the yogurt, alternate until everything is combined.
- Fold the apple into the batter and pour into prepared pan, use the spatula to distribute the batter evenly and create a flat surface.
- Sprinkle the cold streusel over the top evenly.
- Bake for 45 - 50 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack until cool enough to handle before unmolding the cake.
Shop The Recipe Tools
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting my blog.