These Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Shortbread Cookies are nuttily delicious. They will satisfy your craving for those pineapple shape Honolulu Cookie Company shortbread in a pinch.
Aloha from Oahu! I have planned for a different blog post today. However, as I am back on the island, I thought there is no better time than now to share this Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Shortbread Cookies recipe. I have now been to Hawaii five times within the past couple years, not bragging here cuz three out of the five times were for work. And traveling for work is really not that fun, or am I doing it wrong? Each time I am here though, I always make sure to get my hands on some Hawaii made shortbread cookies. But I can only bring so much with me, and they can only last so long. Hence, this homemade version!
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Allow butter to soften at room temperature, but not melted. You only want it soft enough to be malleable, but not so much that the cookie dough becomes a sticky mess.
- Shaping the cookie dough in a log will allow you to easily slice it into equal portions. This way is also quicker than rolling out into a sheet and using a cookie cutter. It also eliminates cookie cutter excess dough all together.
- Freezing the sliced cookies before baking will allow them to keep their shape better in the oven and is absolutely necessary in my book.
These Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Shortbread Cookies were inspired by Honolulu Cookie Company chocolate chip mini bites. I love the flavors of those cute little pineapple shape cookies, plus you know I can say no to chocolate chips! This homemade version is pretty darn close to it if I may say so. But why don’t you decide for yourself. Whether you or not you have had the Honolulu Cookie Company version, I’m positive you’ll love these!
More Amazing Shortbread Cookie Recipes
- Chocolate Macadamia Nut Shortbread Cookies
- Lemon Shortbread Cookies
- Almond Shortbread Cookies
- Valentine’s Day Stained Glass Shortbread Cookies
Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Shortbread Cookies Recipe
Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Shortbread Cookies
- 8 ounce unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup macadamia nut - pulverized
- 2 tablespoon malted milk powder
- 1/4 scant teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet mini chocolate chip
- Extra sugar for sprinkling
- Let butter soften at room temperature out on the counter, but not melted.
- Pulverize 1 cup of macadamia nut in the food processor or blender until the pieces are about less than 1/4”, but not so small that you start making macadamia nut butter.
- Measure out flour into a medium mixing bowl, add the pulverized macadamia nut, malted milk powder, salt and chocolate chip, mix well to distribute thoroughly.
- Add butter, sugar and vanilla extract to the stand mixer bowl and beat with the paddle attachment until combined.
- Reduce mixer speed to low, and slowly add the flour mixture. Continue to mix on low speed until dough comes together. It should pull away from the side of the mixing bowl.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board or counter top, shape and roll into a log 12” in length.
- Wrap well with plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Slice the log into 1/2” rounds, reshape cookies as needed.
- Place the cookies in a container in layers with parchment paper in between and freeze for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F while the cookies are resting in the freezer.
- When the oven is ready, place cookies on a parchment line baking sheet one to two inches apart, sprinkle granulated sugar over the top of cookies generously and bake for 19 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.