These decadent Chocolate Coconut Yogurt Muffins taste like a chocolate lover’s dream. Both the coffee and the coconut oil really enhance the chocolate flavor, while yogurt keeps it moist, and chocolate chips give it a little fudgyness.
One of the greatest things about muffins has to be that they are pretty much cupcakes without frosting. And it is completely acceptable to eat them for breakfast since that is what they were made for. I always like to start my day with a hot cup of coffee along with a small bite, and these Chocolate Coconut Yogurt Muffins are just the perfect choice.
Chocolate and I, we go all the way back to the day I ate a 1 lb box of See’s Candies chocolate all by myself in one day without any real food in between. Talk about extreme sugar high, after that though, I quit chocolate for a few years. But it wasn’t long til I’m back again for more. This time, I know better, I’ve learned something called self-control. And one chocolate a day keeps the doctor away, is that how the saying goes?
Chocolate Coconut Yogurt Muffins Recipe Tips and Tricks
- You want to use melted coconut oil for the batter. If your jar of coconut oil is solid, just scoop out a chunk and microwave it for 20-30 seconds to melt.
- Brew a batch of strong coffee for yourself in the morning and save just 1/3 cup for this recipe, that way you don’t have to wait around for the coffee to cool down.
- One of the most use gadgets in my kitchen is the large ice cream scoop. I use it to portion muffin/cupcake batter, cookie dough, shortcake dough, and anything scoopable. It is the cleanest way to evenly divide things up.
I just love the slightly cracked top of these Chocolate Coconut Yogurt Muffins, and how soft and chocolatey they are. You’ve got to try them, I think you’ll enjoy them just as much as I do! And when you do try them, be sure to leave me a feedback/comment below.
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup coffee
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chip
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- Brew some strong coffee and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line 12 cavities of a regular size muffin pan with paper liner.
- In a medium bowl, add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar and mix thoroughly with a whisk.
- In another medium bowl, add egg, yogurt, coconut oil, coffee and vanilla extract, mix vigorously with a whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour mixture to the liquid mixture and fold with a spatula until just combined.
- In a small bowl, toss the chocolate chips with a teaspoon of flour, and fold this into the muffin batter.
- Divide batter equally into the previously prepared muffin pan using a large ice cream scoop.
- Top the batter with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 19 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove muffins from the pan and place them on the wire rack to cool completely.