This easy Chocolate Macadamia Nut Shortbread Cookies recipe is for a Hawaiian inspired cookie that is extremely chocolaty and PACKED with macadamia nuts.
We are now well into summer around here with temperatures in the 90’s. The oven has been off for longer than I would like to admit. I made these Chocolate Macadamia Nut Shortbread Cookies a few weeks after we came back from Maui. I’m afraid I’m starting to sound like a broken record by now, with my Hawaii this and Maui that. But really guys, my goal is to retire in Maui and open a bakery, preferably before actual retirement age.
The inspiration for these cookies came from the Honolulu Cookie Company. I bought a small box of assorted shortbread cookies while I was on the island. I hoarded most of them for myself, obviously. One of my favorite flavors was triple chocolate macadamia. It was extremely chocolaty with little bits of macadamia nut and chocolate chips. After I finished off the limited amount of shortbread cookies. I was going through withdrawal and the closest Honolulu Cookie Company location is all the way in Vegas. So naturally, I had to figure out something to satiate my craving.
This version of chocolate macadamia nut shortbread cookies does not have chocolate chips but it is very chocolaty and PACKED with macadamia nuts! They were a hit among Ryan’s coworkers. I didn’t have a chance to make them into ice cream sandwiches, but I dare say they would have been splendid!
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Allow butter to soften at room temperature, but with summer in full swing, make sure you don’t let the butter melt. You only want it soft enough to be malleable, but not so much that the cookie dough becomes a sticky mess.
- Freezing the cookie dough in a log will allow you to easily slice it into equal portions without squishing the log. This way is also quicker than rolling out into a sheet and using a cookie cutter. It also eliminates cookie cutter excess dough all together.
- Freezing the sliced cookies before baking is highly recommended as it will allow them to keep their shape better in the oven. If you don’t have a large enough freezer for your baking sheet, you could place the sliced cookies in a Tupperware or plate with parchment paper between each layer and cover well. Place them on a baking sheet right when you are ready to pop them into the oven.
Chocolate Macadamia Nut Shortbread Cookies Recipe
Chocolate Macadamia Nut Shortbread Cookies
- Let butter come to room temperature out on the counter, you want soft butter but not melted.
- Pulverize 1 cup of macadamia nut in the food processor or blender until the pieces are about less than 1/4”, but not so small that you start making macadamia nut butter.
- Measure out flour, cocoa powder and salt into a medium mixing bowl, add the macadamia nut to the bowl as well and mix with a whisk or spatula until thoroughly combined.
- Add butter, sugar and vanilla extract to the stand mixer bowl and beat with the paddle attachment until combined.
- Reduce mixer speed to low, and slowly add the flour/nut mixture. Continue to mix on low speed until dough comes together. It should pull away from the side of the mixing bowl.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board or counter top, shape and roll into a log 12” in length.
- Wrap well with parchment paper and freeze for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Slice into 1/2” rounds, reshape slightly as needed, place on parchment lined baking sheet and keep in the freezer.
- Preheat oven to 350°F while the cookies are resting in the freezer.
- When the oven is ready, take the baking sheet out of the freezer, sprinkle granulated sugar over the top of cookies generously and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.