Coconut Mochi are chewy little treats made with sweet rice flour and coconut milk. They are similar to the Hawaiian butter mochi but lighter in flavor.
This… my friends… is the easiest and one of my most favorite treats! Leave these out for Ryan or my mom and they will be gone in just a blink of an eye. And I just love the size of them; cute tiny little treats that you can eat in one bite, who doesn’t like that? You’ll notice that the measurement in this recipe is a little funky. The original recipe came from one of Ryan’s aunts. She makes hundreds of these during the holidays, so I scaled it down into one small batch in case you don’t want a hundred coconut mochi hanging out in the kitchen… although that can’t be a bad thing!
Mochi is a Japanese rice cake made with sweet rice (a short grain glutinous rice) which I also love and can talk about in a whole other post! So as the name suggested, this treat is made with coconut and sweet rice flour. Now make sure you get sweet rice flour and not just any rice flour. There are many different types of rice, and the one you want is SWEET RICE or GLUTINOUS RICE. I usually get Mochiko, which you can buy at any Asian market for just over a dollar. While you’re there, pick up a can of Coconut Milk too, any brand will do. These ingredients will be a whole lot cheaper at the Asian market.
These coconut mochi are also gluten free! No, I’m not jumping on the gluten free train, rice flour just happens to be naturally gluten free 🙂 . And coconut… I’m friggin’ Asian! We already have a thing for coconut right out of the womb. I love coconut, I drink the water and eat the flesh, but I still wouldn’t cook with coconut oil… it’s not necessary for all my food to smell like coconut. Or coconut ice cream… I dunno, yeah sure it’s a dairy free alternative but they should just have one flavor, COCONUT! We tried it for Ryan cuz of his lactose intolerance; I prefer the real thing even if I have to make it with lactose free milk! Somebody please make lactose free cream!
OMG that was so totally off topic, let’s just get to the recipe now! Happy baking!
Coconut Mochi Recipe
- 3.2 oz 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoon + 2 teaspoon of Mochiko (sweet rice flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon rounded baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter – melted
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Extra butter or nonstick spray for pan
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray a mini cupcake pan with nonstick cooking spray or brush with some melted butter. Mop up excess and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add mochiko, sugar and baking powder, whisk around to combine.
- In a medium bowl, add egg, coconut milk, melted butter and vanilla, whisk to combine.
- Add the mochiko mixture to the liquid mixture and whisk until smoothly combined, you will get a thin batter.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon into each cupcake cavity of the prepared pan, the batter will be enough to fill 20.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 13 – 15 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack before removing the coconut mochi from the pan.
- Use a butter knife to loosen the coconut mochi from the side of the cupcake cavity and lift it out.
- Store in an air tight container, consume within the week.