These Green Tea Coconut Mochi are chewy little treats made with coconut milk and sweet rice flour with a touch of delicate Matcha green tea powder. They are gluten free and the green color is completely natural!
March hasn’t been kind to me… I had plans, lots of plans and projects half finished just stacked up in the corner waiting for me. But between having a week long cold and spraining my ankle, I felt like I’ve accomplished nothing this month. Just after I had the… mmm accident… we went out to eat and the waiter asked me if my injury was caused by some fantastic event, I’d imagined bungee jumping or sky diving, unfortunately I just fell down the stair in my house while walking with house slippers (not even high heels or anything). Is this a sign of old age??
A few days after this, I found my old compact mirror, except the mirror was somehow broken!!! I don’t know who did it, it wasn’t me, I swear. I don’t think I can handle seven years of bad luck. Does the size of the mirror matter? Seven years for a full size mirror, perhaps only seven days for the compact? It definitely wasn’t fun hobbling around for a week, being under house arrest, and working on the couch, ugh… I know you’re probably like why is this b*&^% complaining about working on the couch?? But I can’t work productively on the couch. I NEED to be in my office at my desk.
And baking, please, I can hardly stand, until today really. I dusted off my stand mixer this morning to make breakfast; it felt good to be back, almost. I made these green tea coconut mochi just a couple days before my accident. I planned to post them that week, but you know I got caught up in the drama and the pain and whatnots. Today is the first day I’m back working on things in my office at my desk 🙂 . I’m a happy clam again. Now if I can just get the house spotless…
But no matter how bad a day or a week you had, something sweet will always make you feel instantly better! I bet that’s how baking came about, someone had a real bad day and just started throwing eggs, milk, flour, sugar and butter together, angrily mixed it all up and threw it in the hot oven. Fifteen minutes later, something magical happened and made the all the bad go away, just like these sweet and chewy little green tea coconut mochi. 😉
This recipe is a slight variation from my original Coconut Mochi.
Green Tea Coconut Mochi Recipe
Green Tea Coconut Mochi
- 3.2 oz (1/2 cup + 2 tablespoon + 2 teaspoon) of Mochiko (sweet rice flour)
- 1 teaspoon culinary grade Matcha green tea powder
- 1/2 teaspoon rounded baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter – melted
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Extra butter or nonstick spray for pan
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray a mini cupcake pan with nonstick cooking spray or brush with some melted butter. Mop up excess and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add mochiko, matcha powder, sugar and baking powder, whisk around to combine.
- In a medium bowl, add egg, coconut milk, melted butter and vanilla, whisk to combine.
- Add the mochiko mixture to the liquid mixture and whisk until smoothly combined, you will get a thin batter.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon into each cupcake cavity of the prepared pan, the batter will be enough to fill 20.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 14 – 15 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack before removing the coconut mochi from the pan.
- Use a butter knife to loosen the coconut mochi from the side of the cupcake cavity and lift it out.
- Store in an air tight container, consume within the week.