An easy, 5-ingredients, homemade Lemon Curd that takes just 10 minutes to make. Tart, sweet, and refreshing, it’s perfect for spreading over pancakes, waffles, and scones just to name a few. You’ll be smacking your lips for days.
Compotes and curds are rocking my world lately. I did not realize how easy they are to make until I started making them myself. When life gives you lemon, make lemon curd, I’d say. Ten minutes and five ingredients are all it takes to get you from lemon to lips smacking creamy and delicious lemon curd that’s good on almost anything.
Lemon Curd Recipe Tips and Tricks
- This recipe calls for whole eggs instead of egg yolks which eliminates food waste if you don’t know what to do with your left over egg whites. However, when using egg whites in making curd, it’s better to cook it low and slow to avoid overcooking the egg white.
- Stir the mixture constantly for even cooking so you don’t have localize overcooking of the egg white again.
- But if you end up with little pieces of cooked egg whites in your final product, don’t worry, straining will do the trick to keep your lemon curd creamy and delicious. Don’t skip this step.
- Salt is optional, you can add a pinch but I didn’t for this recipe.
If you have been contemplating on making lemon curd or any citrus curd, now is the time. Especially if you have fresh lemons from your garden, it would be so much more cost effective to make your own homemade lemon curd than buying. There is so much more you can create with this recipe as a foundation. I will be bringing a few new recipe to you this season using this exact homemade lemon curd. In the mean time, check out the list of recipe pairing below.
Lemon Curd Recipe Pairing
Did you enjoy this recipe? Let me know in the comment or shoot me an email! I also welcome any and all recommendation/request. 🙂
Homemade Lemon Curd
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon of lemon zest ((about 2 lemons))
- ½ cup of fresh lemon juice ((about 2 to 2 ½ lemons))
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 oz unsalted butter - cubed
- Wash all the lemons thoroughly and zest 2 lemons for 1 tablespoon of lemon zest.
- Juice 2 to 2 ½ lemons depending on their size for ½ cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice.
- Add zest and sugar to a medium sauce pan and mix with a whisk to release the lemon oil.
- Add egg and lemon juice and stir over medium low heat.
- When the mixture is thoroughly mixed, add the butter to the pan.
- Continue cooking and stirring constantly until the curd thickens, after about 6 -7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a large measuring cup for smoother texture.
- Transfer to jars and and allow to cool completely before refrigerating.
This recipe is adapted from Taste of Home.