Irish Cream Hot Chocolate has all the coziness of a classic homemade hot cocoa with a little extra boozy kick. It’s a comforting cocktail for chilly nights!
Hot chocolate is my drink of choice to cozy up on the couch while watching a movie or reading a book in cool weather. And this Irish Cream Hot Chocolate has a little bit of something extra. Creamy check, chocolatey check, boozy check check check! If you’re staying in for St. Patrick’s Day, I’d say let this hot chocolate keeps you company.
The base of this Irish Cream Hot Chocolate recipe utilizes many ingredients you probably already have in your pantry and refrigerator. You don’t need any expensive chocolate or fancy hot cocoa mix. What you need are:
- some unsweetened cocoa powder that you would normally use for baking
- some sugar – if you have cocoa powder, you have to have sugar, otherwise you can’t make chocolate cupcakes!
- a little bit of heavy cream – substitute milk if you don’t have cream
- plenty of milk – I prefer whole milk for creamier hot cocoa
- and a few shots of Bailey’s Irish Cream – raid your liquor cabinet, you do have a liquor cabinet, don’t you?
Then if you want to, top your Irish Cream Hot Chocolate with this Irish Cream Whipped Cream. It may not be necessary but it is highly recommended!
Irish Cream Hot Chocolate Recipe
Irish Cream Hot Chocolate
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream
- 12 oz whole milk
- 4 oz Irish Cream
- Add cocoa powder, sugar, and heavy cream in a small bowl, mix with a spoon until a thick paste form.
- Heat milk in a small pot over medium heat until it starts to simmer, add the chocolate paste to the pot and stir with a spatula until it dissolves completely.
- Turn off the heat and pour the Irish cream into the pot, give it a stir to combine.
- Pour hot chocolate into a large mug or two smaller mugs if sharing.
- Top with Irish cream whipped cream if desired.