These Lemon Blueberry Cream Scones are refreshing and filled with juicy fresh blueberries. They are perfect for brunch with tea and coffee, or as a midday snack. Tender and flaky, they will not disappoint.
Melt in your mouth Lemon Blueberry Scones are just the thing to serve for breakfast, brunch and all occasions. These tender scones are filled with fresh juicy blueberries and has a light hint of lemon. When served with lemon curd, they have the perfect amount of tangy and sweet.
How to Make Lemon Blueberry Cream Scones
Whenever I’m making anything with citrus like lemon and orange, I always start by infusing the citrus oil from the zest into the sugar. You can use your fingers and rub the sugar with the zest to release the oil, or just use a small whisk to mix it really well. You will see the sugar change color slightly, and you will notice the wonderful fragrance of lemon.
The next step is to mix all the dry ingredients with the sugar, including the fresh blueberries. Toss the blueberries lightly in the flour mixture with your hand to distribute them evenly but be careful not to crush them.
Use a measuring cup to measure out one egg and enough cream to make just 1 cup. When adding the cream mixture to the flour mixture (with the berries), use a very light hand to fold with a spatula to form the dough. It’s crucial to be gentle in this step so you don’t crush the berries and stain the batter. However, if you do end up crushing some berries, it is no big deal.
You can refer to the photos below to see the texture of the dough. It doesn’t have to form a ball completely in the bowl. Dump everything out on a counter and shape into a circle with your hand, pat it to about 1” thick and slice into 8 pieces.
Transfer the scones onto a baking sheet, and brush with the reserved egg mixture – this acts as our egg wash to enhance browning while baking. Add turbinado sugar generously for shine and extra sweetness.
I serve these Lemon Blueberry Scones with my easy homemade Lemon Curd, and they were all kind of tangy, sweet and delicious. You can certainly substitute store-bought lemon curd, but trust me when I say it’s extremely easy to make.
More Delicious Summer Scones
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag me @wildwildwhisk on Instagram. I’d love to see what’s cooking up in your kitchen. Cheers!
Lemon Blueberry Cream Scones
- Zest of 1 lemons
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 heaping cup of fresh blueberry
- 1 large egg + heavy cream to fill 1 cup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar and lemon zest until the sugar turns slight yellow and fragrant.
- Add flour, salt, and baking powder to the sugar mixture and mix to combine.
- Toss the blueberries in the flour mixture.
- In a measuring cup, add the egg and enough heavy cream to fill 1 cup. Add vanilla extract and beat to combine.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour in the liquid mixture, reserving about 1 tablespoon to use as egg wash.
- Fold with a spatula or wooden spoon until a dough forms, be careful not to crush the berries.
- Turn the dough out onto a well-floured board, and shape into a circle about 1” thick.
- Cut into 8 scones.
- Place the scones on a parchment paper line baking sheet, brush the top and sides with the reserved cream, and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 22 -23 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle come out clean.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Serve with lemon curd.
Shop The Recipe Tools
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting my blog.