These Meaty Bits Bacon Dog Treats will have your pups jumping for joy or sit in a very still position after dinner like a well mannered dog waiting for their rewards.
I originally made these treats with left over prime rib meat from our anniversary dinner ages ago before I knew how to work the camera. Thus, the photos were quite embarrassing. I’ve been unearthing many of these old posts, giving them prettier photos for the world to see because they’re just sitting in a corner collecting dust.
Only problem was I didn’t have any prime rib meat, so I used bacon instead. In fact, you don’t even have to use bacon, you can use cooked turkey bacon, ground chicken, turkey, or anything else you prefer. You just need to substitute the bacon bits for the meat and the bacon fat with another type of oil in the recipe.
How to make Bacon Dog Treats
First, you need to cook the bacon until crispy but not burnt, remove the bits and let them cool on a plate. Reserve the oil, let it cool slightly so you can add it with the egg and stock. You can use homemade stock, store-bought stock, chicken, beef, vegetable, or even just water. Now add the flour along with the bacon bits and mix into a ball of dough.
I used whole wheat flour in this recipe but you can easily substitute a gluten free flour in the same ratio if your dogs are wheat sensitive. Roll the dough out and cut into shapes. I used a 2.5” dog bone cookie cutter which yields 22 treats for this recipe. This batch lasted us just under a week, with two little dogs.
I store these in the refrigerator since they contain bacon. If you make a double or triple batch, you can freeze them up to 6 months. Just defrost a handful for the week and keep them in the refrigerator for after meal time treats. Make them, your dogs will love these tasty bacon dog treats!
More Dog Treat Recipes
- Gingerbread Dog Treats (GF flour)
- Strawberry Dog Treats (oat & whole wheat flour)
- Fishy Dog Treats (oat flour)
- Peanut Butter and Apple Pupcakes (whole wheat flour & tapioca)
- Apple Pup Pies (all-purpose flour)
View all Dog Treats
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag me @wildwildwhisk on Instagram. I’d love to see what’s cooking up in your kitchen. Cheers!
This recipe was originally published on 7/1/2014. The recipe has been updated to reflect a few improvements. The post has also been updated with extra tips and process photos to help you in the kitchen.
Meaty Bits Bacon Dog Treats
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup stock ((chicken, beef, vegetable, or water, 59 g))
- 2 slice bacons ((66 g))
- 1 ¼ cup whole wheat flour ((162 g))
- Extra flour for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut bacon slices into small bits and fry in a cast iron skillet until crispy. Remove the bacon bits to a plate and allow to cool. Reserve the fat and allow to cool slightly in the pan.
- Add cooled bacon fat, egg and stock to a medium mixing bowl and beat until smooth. Fold in the whole wheat flour along with the bacon bits and knead until a dough forms.
- Flour the counter or a large cutting board, roll the dough out to about ¼” thick. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Reroll the scraps and continue cutting into shapes.
- Place cookies on a baking sheet between ½” to 1” apart. Bake for 20 minutes. Rotate pan, flip cookies, reduce oven temperature to 300°F and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on the baking sheet set on top of a wire rack. Refrigerate in an airtight containers for up to two weeks.
Shop The Recipe Tools
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting my blog.