This beautiful Orange Pear Smoothie Bowl is a healthy breakfast that’s also perfect for a light mid-afternoon pick me up. It is made with super ripe and sweet Bartlett pear, so no extra sugar of any kind is needed.
If you’ve been following the blog for a while, you’d know I bake a lot. And so my typical breakfast would be coffee and whatever left over from recipe testing days, which can range from muffins and scones all the way to pies, cakes and cookies. So once in a while, my body goes on strike and demands a lighter breakfast, enters this lovely Orange Pear Smoothie Bowl.
This Orange Pear Smoothie Bowl is made and sweetened entirely with fruits. I used very ripe Bartlett pear, which provided all the sugar you will ever need. The crushed pistachio adds a little crunch and a buttery contrast to the light fruit smoothie.
I think pears get overshadowed easily this season because everyone is so focused on all things apple and pumpkin. I know I tend to do that, never look twice at the pear baskets in the grocery store. Although I do love Asian pears for obvious reason. But today I’m re-discovering this wonderful flavor, that is so often overlooked, in this delicious orange pear smoothie bowl.
The Different Type of Pears
Below is a comprehensive list for the different type of pears with their flavor profile, texture, and some notes about cooking and baking with pears.
- Bartlett – soft, and super juicy when ripe, will disintegrate when cooked, perfect for pear butter and pear sauce.
- Bosc – crisp with a delicate sweet flavor, will keep their shape when cooked, perfect in pie, tart, or poached.
- Anjous – firm with mild flavor, another good option when you need them to keep their shape when cooked.
- Asian pears – very crunchy with mild flavor. These can be a refreshing treat for warmer days since they are available year-round.
- Starkrimson – sweet with a subtle floral aroma, great in a dish that will show off its red skin.
- Comice – sweet buttery flesh, these are excellent paired with cheese, especially soft cheese like Brie, or blue cheese.
- Concorde – crunchy and sweet with a vanilla flavor, best identified by their long neck, will hold their shape when cooked at high heat.
- Forelle – crisp, tangy and refreshingly sweet, pair well with cheese. These are one of the smallest varieties of pears, just larger than Seckel.
- Seckel – these are petite pear, crunchy and ultra sweet, good for snacking, pickling or garnish.
Lately, it’s becoming so much harder to drag my buns out the door to a morning yoga class, because the sun doesn’t come up early anymore. But this Orange Pear Smoothie Bowl really brightens my day and makes me feel slightly better about skipping yoga. 😉
More Healthy and Delicious Smoothie Bowls!
Orange Pear Smoothie Bowl Recipe
- 1 banana - frozen or fresh
- 1 ripe Bartlett pear - core and cut into small pieces
- 1 orange - peel and slice into 8
- Fresh pear slices
- Crushed pistachio
- Put banana, pear and orange in the blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour smoothie into a bowl, garnish with fresh pear slices and crushed pistachio.
- Serve immediately.