I know this Peppermint Bark Whole Wheat Brownie sounds like something I should have posted before Christmas, but I didn’t have any peppermint bark until after Christmas. I don’t normally eat chocolate or candy of any sort. The only kind of chocolate you’ll find in my house is baking chips. Well, that was true before Christmas, now I have all kind of chocolate… chocolate truffles, dark chocolate (from FRANCE! A gift from my well-travelled friend), peppermint bark with dark chocolate which I used in this recipe.
I wanted to make something with peppermint bark after getting a batch of these peppermint cookie bars for the food blogger cookie swap. But there were just too many things to bake over the holidays and I couldn’t squeeze in any more time to add another recipe on my list. Luckily, my mom gave me a bag of these Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark with Dark Chocolate for Christmas. They were pretty darn good, but I always prefer soft chewy fluffy baked things, so I thought they would be just perfect to dress up my Chewy Whole Wheat Brownie!
After a short break from the holiday cookie baking marathon, I recharge in my kitchen with these minty chocolaty chewy brownies! And I think you need to save this recipe ASAP for next year! NO, make them for yourself first, this weekend, I’m sure some of you still have some peppermint bark left over. Savor them, have them warm from the oven, or sneak them for breakfast the next day, then have them for dessert with a scoop of ice cream! Mmm… then pin the recipe for Christmas next year! 🙂
I used white whole wheat flour for this recipe but regular whole wheat flour would work just fine. You really won’t be able to tell it’s whole wheat 😉 .
Peppermint Bark Whole Wheat BrowniePrint Rate
- 2 tablespoon + 2 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 1 oz of semisweet chocolate chip
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 oz butter - melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoon white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 oz peppermint bark - chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line an 8”x8” baking pan with two strips of parchment paper across the pan leaving excess hanging out of all sides. This will allow easy removal of the brownie later.
- In a small bowl, add flour and salt, mix and set aside.
- Chop the peppermint bark into small pieces and set aside.
- In a large heat proof bowl, add cocoa powder and boiling water, mix until cocoa powder dissolves.
- Add 1 oz of semisweet chocolate chip to the hot cocoa powder mixture and mix until dissolve.
- Add oil and melted butter and whisk until combine.
- Add egg, egg yolk, vanilla and peppermint extract, whisk until smooth.
- Add sugar and whisk until completely incorporated.
- Add flour mixture and half of the chopped peppermint bark set aside earlier, fold using a spatula until combined, but do not over mix.
- Pour mixture into the prepared baking pan. Spread the remaining peppermint bark over the surface of the brownie mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow the entire pan to cool on a wire rack.
- Use a butter knife to loosen the brownie at the corners and lift it out of the pan. Cut into 9 squares.