Pistachio Butter Cookies spiced with bright orange zest and aromatic cardamom are delicious and so easy to make. They have a wonderful and extremely special flavor profile that will transform your mood and elevate your everyday sweet moment.
Alright ladies and gents, ready for another pistachio recipe? Get your homemade pistachio butter ready cuz today we’re making these super easy and extremely tasty Pistachio Butter Cookies. The batter calls for both pistachio butter and ground pistachio to make sure you’ll get double the flavor. They bake up to a pretty green color, and they look just beautiful with a light dusting of powder sugar.
I don’t know why, but every time I make something with pistachio, I have to sneak in a little cardamom and orange. These Pistachio Butter Cookies are spiced with bright orange zest and aromatic cardamom. Cardamom itself has citrusy character so it goes really well with orange zest. The flavor of these cookies are just so so special, wonderful, exceptional, top, no words can describe! And you wouldn’t believe how easy they are to whip up.
How to Make Pistachio Butter Cookies
We always start with real unsalted butter. And for this cookie dough we also add a heap of our homemade pistachio butter! Because these are called Pistachio Butter Cookies after all. We use light brown sugar to keep everything soft and chewy. No need to rub the orange zest into sugar this time since brown sugar is not exactly convenient for doing that. Beating everything together should release the oil well enough. Egg and vanilla extract go in next. And then the dry ingredients. That’s it!
This cookie dough is also very easy to handle. We should be able to divide and roll it into balls without any issue. One batch should make about 18 dough balls approximately 1 1/4 oz each. For exact measurement, we always use a kitchen scale. There is no need to flatten the dough, just let them spread on their own during baking.
A note about vanilla, we have many layers of flavor in this cookie but vanilla is equally important. It enhances the flavor of our baked goods even though it is not the main spice. Just like salt, a tiny bit is always added to enhance the overall flavor. Without these supporting ingredients, we can risk a delicious cookies coming out a bit flat in taste.
Every time I test a new cookie recipe, it automatically becomes my favorite cookies. But truly though, these Pistachio Butter Cookies are definitely my favorite cookies. They pack in so many of my favorite things, pistachio, orange and cardamom! These spiced cookies are so perfect with their bright and warm flavors. I guarantee you won’t eat just one.
More Pistachio Please!
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag me @wildwildwhisk on Instagram. I’d love to see what’s cooking up in your kitchen. Cheers!
- 4 ounce unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup pistachio butter
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- Zest of a small orange
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 cup ground pistachio
- Melt butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cardamom, and ground pistachio in a small bowl and whisk to distribute evenly.
- In a stand mixer bowl, combined cooled melted butter with pistachio butter, brown sugar and orange zest, beat with the paddle attachment for 1 minute until combined.
- Add egg, and vanilla extract, beat for another minute until combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the liquid mixture and stir until incorporated.
- Refrigerate the cookie dough for about 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 18 portions, about 1 1/4 oz each. Roll into balls and refrigerate while you preheat the oven.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place dough balls on a parchment lined cookie sheet about 2 inches apart and bake for 11 minutes in the middle oven rack.
- Remove from the oven and place baking sheet on a wire rack.
- Let cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before moving the cookies on to the wire rack to cool completely.
Shop The Recipe Tools
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting my blog.