These Pistachio Cupcakes with Orange Mascarpone Frosting are made with real pistachio, no pudding mix allowed! The fluffy orange mascarpone whipped cream frosting adds a fresh citrus taste that pairs perfectly with these little bites of heaven.
A few months ago, I made these Matcha Green Tea Cupcakes and my friend immediately asked if they were pistachio cupcakes. Afterward, I could not get the idea out of my head. So I decided these Pistachio Cupcakes with Orange Mascarpone Frosting were going on the needs list.
Many recipes for pistachio cupcakes and cakes out there use pistachio pudding mix and no actual pistachio. What??!! But don’t worry, we’re going to change that today. I made sure these cupcakes are packed with a whole cup of ground raw pistachio nuts, no artificial flavor and no fake green cake batter. Just a tiny bit of cardamom adds a nice layer of flavor to these pistachio cupcakes.
And of course, we can’t neglect this amazingly fresh and light orange mascarpone frosting that just takes this nutty cupcake to the top. I know pistachio pairs really well with cheese and citrus. So naturally, mascarpone and orange came to mind. The frosting is made lighter and fluffier by using a whipped cream base. And honestly, who doesn’t like whipped cream?
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- When grounding pistachio in a food processor or a blender, stop occasionally to check the texture and to make sure you haven’t ended up with pistachio paste instead.
- A stand mixer is useful to have, but you can make cupcake batter entirely by hand just using a mixing bowl and a hand whisk.
- I like to use a large ice cream scoop to portion out the batter into the muffin pan. This makes it a much cleaner process.
- Again, a stand mixer is useful for making whipped cream, but an affordable electric hand mixer will work just as well.
- Cupcakes are best when enjoy within 1-2 days, but you can refrigerate them in an air tight container for up to 5 days.
These pistachio cupcakes are so good. Even a friend of mine, who makes faces at the sound of pistachio, gobbled them up like there was no tomorrow!
Find Something Else to Make with Cardamon?
Pistachio Cupcakes with Orange Mascarpone Frosting Recipe
Pistachio Cupcakes with Orange Mascarpone Frosting
For the cake:
- 1 cup raw pistachio nut
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 8 ounce heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounce mascarpone
- ½ cup powder sugar ((divided))
- 1 teaspoon orange zest ((zest of half an orange))
To make cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a regular size muffin pan with paper liners.
- Ground the raw pistachio in a food processor or blender. Measure out 1 cup of ground pistachio to use in the cupcake batter, reserve the remainder for topping.
- In a medium bowl, add flour, ground pistachio, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cardamom, and mix thoroughly with a whisk.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract to a large bowl and mix with a whisk until smooth.
- Pour the flour mixture in with the liquid mixture and mix until just combined.
- Divide batter equally into the previously prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for 19 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove pan from oven and let cool on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes.
- Take cupcakes out of the muffin pan and let cool on the wire rack completely.
To make frosting:
- Add heavy whipping cream with ¼ cup of powder sugar and the orange zest to the stand mixer bowl, beat until stiff peak forms.
- In small bowl, mix the mascarpone with the other ¼ cup of powder sugar with a hand whisk until combined.
- Combine mascarpone with whipped cream and stir until smooth.
- Chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To assemble cupcakes:
- When cupcakes cool completely, generously pipe frosting on top of each cupcake.
- Sprinkle extra ground pistachio over the frosting and enjoy.