These Pumpkin Muffins are packed full of pumpkin puree and warm sweet spices. The sweet and crunchy spiced streusel topping makes this delicious breakfast taste like a decadent dessert.
Now that Fall is officially here, it’s time to really crank up that oven, bring out all the warm flavorful spices that make Autumn baking so special. And since it is now socially acceptable to express your obsession with all things pumpkin, why don’t we start with these Pumpkin Muffins?
I love muffins for the sole reason that they are cupcakes without frosting. And in order to mitigate that little lack of frosting issue, I almost always make my muffins with a streusel topping. 😉 But technically they are still muffins, and so it is completely acceptable to eat them for breakfast. Not only that, muffins are portable and convenient on the go breakfast, for all you busy bees out there.
These pumpkin muffins are made with a whole cup of pumpkin puree, which keeps them moist. They are also packed with pumpkin pie spice in both the batter and the streusel. Every single bite is bursting with the flavors of Fall.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- When making the streusel, it is a lot quicker to use a food processor with the dough blade attached. The process is similar to making a pie dough, where you try to get the cold butter and the dry ingredients to form coarse crumbs. Use a spatula to scrape the side and bottom of the food processor bowl as necessary.
- Don’t own a food processor, no problem! It is entirely possible to make it by hand with a pastry cutter, a fork or two butter knives.
- This muffin batter will be somewhat thick, I like to use a large ice cream scoop to portion it out into the muffin pan. This makes it a much cleaner process.
- Letting the muffins cool on their sides on a dish towel prevent them from sinking during cooling and allow them to better keep their dome shape.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But I know damn well you don’t want that nasty pumpkin oat meal. Been there, done that, I know it wasn’t that good. So don’t force feed yourself, just make these delicious pumpkin muffins instead!
More Delicious Pumpkin Recipes!
Pumpkin Muffins with Pumpkin Pie Spice Streusel Recipe
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup milk (whole or 2%, room temperature)
- 1/2 cup butter (melted and cooled)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 ounce unsalted butter - cold
- Combine the sugar, flour and pumpkin pie spice in a small bowl, mix thoroughly with a whisk.
- Cut the cold butter into small cube and add it to the flour/sugar mixture.
- Use a pastry blender or a fork to cut butter into the dry mixture until coarse crumbs form. Or use a food processor with the dough blade. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line 11 cavities of a regular size muffin pan with paper liner.
- In a medium bowl, add flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, pumpkin pie spice and mix thoroughly with a whisk.
- Add pumpkin puree, egg, milk, butter and vanilla extract to a large bowl and mix with a whisk until smooth.
- Pour the flour mixture in with the liquid mixture and mix until just combined.
- Divide batter equally into the previously prepared muffin pan, the cups will be about 3/4 full or almost to the top.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of streusel over each cup.
- Bake for 22 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes.
- Flip muffins over to get them out of the muffin pan and onto a clean dish towel. Let them cool on their sides on the towel.