This smooth and creamy Pumpkin Pie Hot Chocolate actually tastes like pumpkin pie! It is made with real pumpkin puree and homemade pumpkin pie spice.
The weather in SoCal never gets cold enough to warrant an actual fire in our cold sad fireplace. But occasionally, it does get cold enough to enjoy a hot chocolate every once in a while. On those occasional cold nights, I love nothing more than curling up on the couch with a good book and a mug full of this Pumpkin Pie Hot Chocolate.
I used to drink Ghirardelli hot cocoa mix religiously every cold season. And then all of a sudden, they stopped carrying my favorite mix, chocolate mocha, at the local store. I tried mixes from other brand, but none really hit the spot. I think it’s the dry milk or creamer in the ingredients that just doesn’t do it for me. So I was without for a while until I rediscovered how to make hot cocoa.
Turns out, the easiest way to make homemade hot chocolate is to use unsweetened cocoa powder that you already have in your pantry for baking. The advantage of this is you can splurge on really good cocoa powder and make a mean hot chocolate or a batch of amazing chocolate cupcakes. 😉 Goodbye package cocoa mix! I’m moving on to better and tastier things.
This Pumpkin Pie Hot Chocolate recipe is so easy and perfect for this season. It’s a delicious way to use up left over pumpkin puree from those pumpkin muffins or that pumpkin pie you made a few days ago. I would never call regular hot chocolate boring, but this really does spice things up a bit around here! It gives me a fun option to customize one of my favorite hot drinks.
Pumpkin Pie Hot Chocolate Recipe
Pumpkin Pie Hot Chocolate
For hot chocolate
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 20 ounce whole milk
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
For fresh whipped cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- A splash of pure vanilla extract
To make whipped cream
- Add heavy whipping cream, sugar and vanilla to your stand mixer bowl.
- Beat with the whisk attachment until stiff peak forms
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
To make hot chocolate
- In a small bowl, add cocoa powder, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Pour heavy cream over the cocoa powder mixture.
- Use a spoon to mix until a thick paste forms.
- Heat milk and pumpkin puree in a small pot over medium heat until it starts to simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Scrape the cocoa powder paste from the bowl and add it to the simmering pot, mix with a whisk until completely dissolved.
- Pour hot chocolate into two mugs.
- Top with fresh whipped cream, and a few sprinkles of pumpkin pie spice.