The beloved petite Madeleine is upgraded with a hint of chocolate and a festive red coloring in these Red Velvet Madeleines. They are perfect for the holidays or with tea any time of the year!
Woah! I haven’t posted in a while, I almost forgot how to. And I seriously almost forgot how to use Photoshop, even though all I do is brighten this, crop that, resize over here, and rotate over there… These red velvet madeleines have been sitting around for some times, back when I was on a red velvet streak, way before last Christmas. Yep, it’s been that long. What have I been up to? Hmm… too much to recount… but moving, lots of moving, moving houses, moving jobs, and dreaming about moving to Maui…
We just came back from Maui for a cousin’s wedding, and I’m sure I’m not the only one who wants to move there after the first visit. I’ve got our retirement goal all planned out now, and perhaps we’ll get there before we retire, preferably! Cuz no fun in living by the beach when you’re 70 and can’t move without a bazillion things strapped to yourself. Maybe I’ll just sell all my worldly possessions, pack up my dogs and move to the island. The only obstacle now is my boss won’t let me. Boo! Perhaps some red velvet madeleines will soothe my sorrow… until next time Hawaii.
Meanwhile, I hope these little cakes will lift your mood, and add just enough buttery goodness to ease whatever it is you’re dealing with because we just have to take life one cake at a time.
Red Velvet Madeleines
- 6 oz unsalted butter – melted and cooled
- 2 large egg
- 2 large egg yolk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 pinches of salt
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 tablespoon of cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon of red food coloring
- 1 tablespoon butter + 1 tablespoon flour for the mould
- Powder sugar for dusting
- Special equipment: regular size madeleine pan 12 cup (2 of these or bake in 2 batches)
- Melt the butter in a small sauce pan (or in the microwave) and set aside to cool.
- Add the egg and egg yolk to a medium mixing bowl and beat together.
- Add sugar, salt and vanilla to the egg and beat until light in color and creamy.
- Fold the flour into the egg mixture, half at a time, until combined.
- Mix red food coloring with the cooled melted butter and fold the butter into the flour/egg mixture, working quickly as not to over mix.
- Refrigerate the batter while the oven is preheating. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and brush it onto the madeleine mould, wipe off any excess pool of butter. Sprinkle the mould with flour, shake off the excess.
- Spoon about 1 rounded tablespoon of batter in each madeleine cup, don’t flatten the batter, it will spread in the oven.
- Bake for 14 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve with a dusting of powder sugar.