Delicious scones filled with big bites of fresh strawberries and creamy white chocolate will make you Strawberry and Cream Scones dream come true. These scones are perfect for berry season and are just right with both coffee and tea.
What a week! Let us end or begin the next week, however you’d like to see it, with these strawberry and cream scones. I’ve had the idea for these strawberry and cream scones for months. I kept making them but was never truly happy with the end results. Finally, I gave up on the fancy schmancy and went back to the way I normally make cream scones, then fold in the fillings. These scones are bursting with fresh juicy strawberries and the occasional bites of creamy white chocolate chips.
Strawberry and Cream Scones Recipe Tips and Tricks
- What I love most about making scones is that there is no special equipment required, just a mixing bowl, a spatula and a tiny bit elbow grease.
- The batter will be slightly wet, refrain from adding too much extra flour while patting and rolling out the dough to keep from drying it out. But use enough extra flour to keep it from sticking to your hand and counter.
- For this particular recipe, instead of patting the dough out and folding it over itself a few times to create flaky layers, you will roll it out into a rectangle so you can add the filling and roll it up like a cinnamon roll. I find this to be easier than trying to mix the filling straight into the batter and risk squishing the fresh strawberries as you handle the dough.
Scones are one of my favorite quick breakfast that could double as a wonderful snack. It’s so easy to grab one and jet out of the door with your coffee on a busy morning. Or enjoy one with tea on a leisure weekend afternoon. At one point, I was making scones continuously for months until my husband got so sick of them. But I need my morning carb fix! Now I try not to go too crazy with only an occasional batch of scones, and then other treats in between.
With my work load picking up for the summer, it’s getting more difficult to find times for baking even on the weekend, let alone throughout the week. But this time, I made a promise to myself not to let the blog drop off the face of the internet like last time. I’m stating this here to solidify my intention and hoping you, my internet friends, will help me keep good on my promise. So, I’ll see you again here next week with another batch of something delicious. For now, I hope you will enjoy these strawberry and cream scones. Happy Sunday!
More Delicious Scones for Breakfast
Strawberry and Cream Scones
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a medium mixing bowl, whisk to distribute evenly.
- Add egg to a measuring cup, and enough heavy cream to fill 1 cup of liquid, add vanilla extract and beat to combine.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour in the liquid mixture, leaving about 1 tablespoon to use as egg wash. Fold with a spatula or wooden spoon until a wet dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a well-floured board, flour top of dough and your hands, and pat the dough out about 1/2” thick. Fold the dough over itself and pat it out again, do this about 4 times.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out into a rectangle about 10”x11”, spread the strawberries evenly over the dough, sprinkle white chocolate chip on top.
- Roll the dough into a log as if you were rolling cinnamon roll, then pat it down to about 1” thick.
- Cut the rectangular log into 4 smaller rectangles, then cut each rectangle diagonally to make 8 triangles.
- Place the scones on a parchment paper line baking sheet, brush the top and sides with remaining cream, and sprinkle liberally with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.