A quick and simple Strawberry Compote with a hint of orange is the perfect topping for pancakes, waffles, and even ice cream. All you need are a few ingredients and 10 minutes to make this delicious sauce.
Strawberry season is here and these plump juicy strawberries hardly ever make it to the next day. However, I have been meaning to make a strawberry compote, so I made sure I bought extra berries for this specific task. Choose berries with deep red color, and strong aroma for the best flavor.
For this strawberry compote, I also added orange zest and orange juice to the mixture to brighten its flavor. I added just two tablespoon of sugar to sweeten the compote, but you are welcome to add more sugar to taste while the mixture is cooking.
I stored my strawberry compote in old jam jars in the refrigerator up to two weeks. Of course, it tastes best the next day over some pancakes. But it will keep up to a couple weeks, and even longer if you sterilize your jars. However, I doubt you will need to store this for very long at all. And I have some complimentary recipes below that can help you with just that.
Strawberry Compote Recipe Pairing
Did you enjoy this recipe? Let me know in the comment or shoot me an email! I also welcome any and all recommendation/request. 🙂
- 1 lb strawberry
- Zest of half an orange ((about 1 teaspoon))
- Juice of half an orange ((about 3 - 4 tablespoon))
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Wash, hull and quarter the strawberries.
- Add all ingredients to a medium sauce pan.
- Cook over medium heat for 5 - 10 minutes stirring frequently until some of the berries disintegrate and some remain whole but soft, and the sauce thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool, the sauce will thicken more as it cools down.
- Transfer to jars and refrigerate for up to two weeks.