Summer time is the best time to enjoy the outdoor, to soak in all the sunshine, and to dine al fresco. This muffin size sweet cornbread is the perfect accompaniment for all your summer backyard barbecues.
We moved into our current house just over a year ago, which means we are still in the process of moving in. But this is the first time in our lives we actually have a backyard to hang out in. We have been trying to take advantage of this new found luxury with late afternoon play time with the pups, and the occasional barbecue for two. And speaking of barbecue, I think it wouldn’t be complete without some sweet cornbread.
I have made a savory version of this Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread a while back. But my husband has always had a preference for just a simple sweet cornbread. This particular cornbread is exactly that, no fuss, no fancy mix-in’s. And you probably have most of the ingredients in your pantry to whip it up for an impromptu outdoor dinner.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- I used coarsely ground corn meal along with all-purpose flour for this recipe. But you can substitute whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour if you want to keep this whole grain.
- If you don’t have dark brown sugar available in your pantry, you can use light brown sugar or granulated sugar in the same amount.
- I used muffin pan to bake these in to get single serving size cornbread, but you can certainly use a 9” round cake pan, or a cast iron skillet. If you are baking in a single large pan, increase oven temperature to 425°F and increase baking time by 5 to 10 minutes. Make sure to test the middle with a toothpick for doneness as usual.
- This cornbread is sweet enough that it doesn’t need honey, and moist enough that it doesn’t require extra butter. However, feel free to drizzle and slather to your liking. I think in this case we can say, more is better!
Easy Sweet Cornbread Recipe
- 1 cup corn meal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter – melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs – room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk – room temperature
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a 12-cup regular size muffin pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt, mix together.
- In a small bowl, add eggs, butter and buttermilk, beat to combine.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Using a spatula, fold the dry and wet ingredients together until thoroughly mixed.
- Divide the batter equally into the 12 muffin cup cavities.
- Bake for 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let the pan cool for 5 minutes.
- Loosen the side of each corn bread from the muffin pan with a butter knife, flip the pan over and they should all pop out easily.
Adapted from Paula Deen’s Moist and Easy Cornbread