These Valentine’s Day Stained Glass Shortbread Cookies are made with buttery shortbread and a hard candy center. They are perfect for gifting this Valentine’s Day.
I saw these gorgeous stained glass cookies over the Christmas holiday and I knew I have to make them. And I immediately thought these Valentine’s Day Stained Glass Shortbread Cookies will be perfect for the job! With a heart shape cut out for the window and strawberry flavor hard candy for the stained glass portion, I’m quite happy with how they turn out.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- I use a fluted Linzer cookie cutter with the heart insert for this recipe to get this specific shape.
- It is important to freeze the cut out cookie dough before baking so they can keep their shape better in the oven, especially important for the heart shape windows.
- I tried using color sanding sugar for the stained glass windows. This will not work as sanding sugar doesn’t melt in the oven, but had to try just to make sure. 🙂
- Be very careful not to burn yourself when filling the hot cookies with hard candy.
- Candy will melt between 2 – 3 minutes in the oven, more or less depending on how fine or coarse you crush the candies. But do not over heat them as the candy can caramelized, and that won’t be very pretty.
These Valentine’s Day Stained Glass Shortbread Cookies are perfect to celebrate Valentine’s Day with. Pack them in a goodie bag with some chocolate, or candies and some of these heart shape cookie bites for your friends and coworkers. I love the presentation of these pretty little cookies, and the buttery shortbread. But just be careful not to bite really hard in the middle since they are filled with hard candy after all. Other than that, have fun making these and enjoy!
More Amazing Recipes Perfect for Valentine’s Day
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Truffle Pop
- Valentine’s Day Slice ’N Bake Cookies
- Strawberry Champagne Cupcakes
- 3 Ingredient Minty White Chocolate Fudge Bites
- Red Velvet Madeleines
Valentine’s Day Stained Glass Shortbread Cookies Recipe
- 8 ounce unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 dozen strawberry flavor Jolly Rancher (more as needed)
- Extra granulated sugar for sprinkling
- Color sanding sugar
- Let butter soften at room temperature out on the counter, but not melted.
- Measure out flour into a medium mixing bowl, add salt and mix well to distribute thoroughly.
- Add butter, sugar and vanilla extract to the stand mixer bowl and beat with the paddle attachment until combined.
- Reduce mixer speed to low, and slowly add the flour mixture. Continue to mix on low speed until dough comes together. It should pull away from the side of the mixing bowl.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board or counter top, shape into a disk and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured counter top, roll the dough out to 1/4” thick. Cut with a linzer cookie cutter with the heart insert. This will make about 32 cookies and 32 heart shape cookie bites.
- Place the cookies and the heart pieces in a container in layers with parchment paper in between and freeze for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Crush up the hard candy using a food processor, or pestle and mortar, or in a ziploc bag and a rolling pin.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the round cookies with the heart shape hole on a parchment lined cookie sheet about 2 inches apart, sprinkle with granulated sugar and bake for 13 minutes in the middle oven rack.
- Remove the pan from the oven and carefully fill the heart shape whole with crushed up candy all the way to the top using the smallest quarter teaspoon.
- Place the pan back into the oven and bake for another 2 - 3 minutes until the candy melted completely but not caramelized.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack to allow the candy to set before removing the cookies from the pan.
- Repeat with the rest of the cookies.
- For the smaller heart shape cookies taken from the middle, sprinkle with granulated sugar or color sanding sugar and bake for 12 minutes.