These classic Vanilla Madeleines are buttery and delicious. They make the perfect afternoon snack with tea or the sweetest ending to a meal.
I love madeleine… well okay, there aren’t too many things that I don’t love when it’s made with flour, butter, and sugar. In fact, I can’t quite think of anything that I don’t love, in term of baked things. But madeleines are special, because they are pretty little cakes, but they are kind of like cookies in my book. You can snack on them on the go, have them with coffee in the morning (totally!), or tea in the afternoon, or with milk at night before bed!
Whenever I think of cake, which I don’t bake often except for cupcakes, I think fancy frosting, multiple layers, complicated, intimidating, huge! But these vanilla madeleines, these are right up my alley. They are simple, uncomplicated, no fuss, no frosting, and ready to be devoured right out of the oven (just make sure you don’t burn your tongue…). And they are totally the best when fresh, you get that bit of crunch on the outside and tender crumbs on the inside… mmm… Oh and don’t forget to sprinkle on some powder sugar for extra prettiness!
Make these and you won’t have to eye those little packages on the front counter at Starbucks when you’re getting caffeinated in the morning or hoard them from Costco, which is frankly way too many! This recipe makes a perfect dozen, which won’t last too long to dry out or get stale. Keep them in an air tight container and you can snack on them all week long (we must exercise self-control my friends!)
Other Flavor Madeleines Recipes
Classic Vanilla Madeleines Recipe
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 oz unsalted butter – melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter + 1 tablespoon flour for the mould
- Powder sugar for dusting
- Special equipment: regular size madeleine pan (12 cup)
- Melt the butter in a small sauce pan (or in the microwave) and set aside to cool.
- Add the egg and egg yolk to a medium mixing bowl and beat together.
- Add sugar, salt and vanilla to the egg and beat until light in color and creamy.
- Fold the flour into the egg mixture, half at a time, until combined.
- Fold in the melted butter, working quickly as not to over mix.
- Refrigerate the batter while the oven is preheating. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and brush it onto the madeleine mould, wipe off any excess pool of butter. Sprinkle the mould with flour, shake off the excess.
- Spoon about 1 rounded tablespoon of batter in each madeleine cup, don’t flatten the batter, it will spread in the oven.
- Bake for 14 minutes until you can see the side/bottom turning golden brown.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve with a dusting of powder sugar.