This recipe for White Chocolate Chip Matcha Cookies is based on the household favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies, but with an Asian twist. The creaminess of white chocolate chips is a great compliment to the light Matcha flavor in these cookies.
These White Chocolate Chip Matcha Cookies taste like a creamy matcha latte, but you won’t accidentally burn your tongue unless you gobble them up straight out of the oven. The weather has been too scorching in my part of town this week for a hot latte, so these cookies make the perfect substitution.
Things You’ll Need for This Recipe
- This Culinary Matcha Powder is the exact brand I used. But you can find some kind of culinary matcha powder at pretty much any Asian grocery store.
- A large ice cream scoop like this one will create the perfect cookie dough portions.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- The recipe instruction calls for a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. But if you don’t own a stand mixer, a regular hand mixer will work just fine. However, when you mix in the chocolate chips, just use a spatula or wooden spoon and fold them into the batter. Otherwise, the blades on the hand mixer will chop up the chocolate chips.
- I like to pre-portion the cookie dough before I refrigerate because it is much quicker and easier to do this when the dough is still soft.
- The pre-portioned cookie dough also freezes well in a parchment paper lined, air tight container. To bake frozen dough, let thaw at room temperature until soften first, and bake as normal.
Have a happy and safe Labor Day weekend! Stay cool or stay dry my friends, wherever you are. And don’t forget to make some of these cookies for dessert if you’re having a Labor Day BBQ.
White Chocolate Chip Matcha Cookies Recipe
White Chocolate Chip Matcha Cookies
- 8 ounce unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 2 cup + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoon matcha green tea powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoon whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 bag of white chocolate chip (about 11 oz)
- Melt the butter over medium low heat in a small sauce pan. Let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, sift or mix together flour, matcha powder, salt, baking soda and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- In a small measuring cup, add the eggs, milk and vanilla extract, whisk together. Set aside.
- Add the cool butter and sugar in a stand mixer mixing bowl and beat with a paddle attachment on medium speed until fluffy and lighten in color, about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg mixture to the butter/sugar mixture and beat another 2 minutes.
- Lower the mixer speed and gradually add the flour mixture, scraping the side and bottom of the bowl as necessary.
- Once all the flour is incorporated, turn the mixer speed to stir and add the white chocolate chips, mix until the chips are evenly distributed.
- Use a large ice cream scoop (about 2 ounces in size) to portion cookie dough onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet or large container. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place already portioned cookie dough onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet, spacing 1” apart.
- Bake for 15 minutes, in multiple batches, in the middle of the oven.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer with a spatula to cool on a wire rack.