Happy November! This is my favorite month of the year because first of all, it is my birth month and second, my favorite holiday is THANKSGIVING! A whole day dedicated to eating delicious food spending time with your loved ones (just between you and me, it really is the food). But before we get ahead of ourselves with all the Thanksgiving festivities, let me introduce you to my new favorite crunchy chewy chocolaty treat, this whole wheat brownie!
I’ve never made brownies from scratch before, ever! The reason? I liked boxed brownies, yup, crazy? No way! They’re deliciously chewy! Ryan luckily has the same sentiment, so he challenged me to make something he would approve. And approve he did thanks to Rachel Ray! I adapted her Chewy Brownies recipe to make a smaller batch, and substituted whole wheat flour. You really can’t even tell they were made with whole wheat. I made the first batch using all-purpose flour and the second using whole wheat. They truly taste the same! So if you have an aversion to semi-healthy dessert (like me…), don’t worry, you still have the chocolate and the sugar to knock you off your feet.
I know it is kind of random to be baking a whole wheat brownie, but truth is when I made these, Ryan had just announced to me that he had decided to go on a new diet (I call it a lifestyle change), whole grains, low fat, no processed food, etc. Not that we are unhealthy people to begin with, but we do eat a lot of carb, we grew up on white rice, you guys. So this basically killed anything I usually bake, but I always embrace challenges! Not only that, I embrace changes, changes are essential to growth and life. Hence, I made that slight change to include a wholesome ingredient in these brownies as a stepping stone to a healthier yet still delicious lifestyle. This doesn’t mean I will quit baking real dessert, no way! It just means that I will try to incorporate more healthful recipes here on the blog.
On that note, here’s the recipe for these awesome brownies, enjoy!
Whole Wheat BrowniesPrint Pin Rate
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chip semisweet or others
- 2 tablespoon + 2 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 1 oz of semisweet chocolate chip
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 oz butter - melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter an 8”x8” square pan. Also line a strip of parchment paper across the pan leaving excess hanging out of both sides. This will allow easy removal of the brownie later.
- In a small bowl, add flour, salt and the 1/2 cup of chocolate chip, mix and set aside.
- In a large heat proof bowl, add cocoa powder and boiling water, mix until cocoa powder dissolves.
- Add 1 oz of semisweet chocolate chip to the hot cocoa powder mixture and mix until dissolve.
- Add oil and melted butter and whisk until combine.
- Add egg, egg yolk and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Add sugar and whisk until completely incorporated.
- Add flour, salt and chocolate chip mixture set aside earlier, fold using a spatula until combined, but do not over mix.
- Pour mixture into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow the entire pan to cool on a wire rack.
I didn't use parchment paper to line the pan and it was a bit of pain to pry the brownie out, so USE PARCHMENT PAPER!!