Valentine’s Day Stained Glass Cookies
These Valentine’s Day Stained Glass Cookies are made with a shortbread cookie base. They are buttery and delicious as they are a work of art. Customize the shape of the cutouts and the color of the candy for any holiday.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time14 mins
Total Time44 mins
Servings: 32 cookies
- 8 ounce unsalted butter room temperature, 226 g
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar 130 g
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 293 g
- 1/4 scant teaspoon kosher salt
- Extra sugar for sprinkling
- 14 red Jolly Ranchers strawberry, cherry, watermelon, or fruit punch, more as needed
Add sugar, softened butter, and vanilla extract to the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat using the paddle attachment until combined and fluffy.
If your flour is not pre-sifted, sift it using a fine mesh sieve. Then whisk together flour, and salt in a mixing bowl and add to the beaten butter mixture. Mix until a dough forms.
Scrape the dough out of the bowl onto a piece of plastic wrap, shape into a disk or a rectangle. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour.
When the dough is ready, take it out of the refrigerator and roll dough to about 1/4” thick, cut with a Linzer cookie cutter without the insert. Re-roll the scrap dough and cut out more cookies until finished. This will yield about 32 - 34 cookies.
Now use the heart-shaped Linzer cookie cutter insert to create the heart cutout in the middle of each cookie. Place the cookies and heart cutouts in a container in layers with parchment paper in between and freeze while the oven is preheating.
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
In the meantime, unwrap the hard candies, place them inside a plastic bag, wrap the bag with a towel and crush the candies with a rolling pin. Place the crushed candies into a small bowl and set aside.
When the oven is ready, place the cutout cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet 1 to 2 inches apart. Sprinkle granulated sugar over the top of cookies generously and bake for 10 - 11 minutes.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven and use a ¼ teaspoon to add crushed candied inside the heart-shaped cutouts, fill it all the way to the top. Place the baking sheet back into the oven, and bake for another 3 minutes until the candies are completely melted.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven and set it on a wire rack. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet until the melted candy hardens, about 5 - 10 minutes, before moving the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
To bake the bite size heart cutouts, place them on a parchment lined baking sheet an inch apart. Sprinkle granulated sugar over the top of cookies generously and bake for 8 minutes.
- If you don’t want to keep the bite size heart cookies, you can reroll the dough and make more regular size cookies.
- Don’t leave the crushed candies out too long as they will get stuck together in a big clump. Crush them just before you are ready to use them.
- Freezing the cookie dough will help the cookies keep their shape better while baking.
- Increase the baking time by a couple minutes if you like your cookies with more golden brown edges and crispier.
Serving: 23g | Calories: 110kcal