Strawberry Compote (Strawberry Sauce)
A quick and simple Strawberry Compote with a hint of orange is the perfect topping for pancakes, waffles, and even ice cream. All you need are a few ingredients and 10 minutes to make this delicious strawberry sauce.
Servings: 6 (1/4 cup portions)
- 1 pound strawberries
- 1 teaspoon orange zest from ½ an orange
- 3 - 4 tablespoon orange juice from ½ an orange
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- A pinch of salt
Wash, hull and quarter the strawberries.
Add all ingredients to a medium saucepan.
Cook over medium heat for 5 - 10 minutes stirring frequently until some of the berries disintegrate and some remain whole but soft, and the sauce thickens slightly.
Remove from heat and allow to cool, the sauce will thicken more as it cools down.
Transfer to jars and refrigerate for up to two weeks.
- Frozen strawberries can be used instead of fresh strawberries.
- Increase cooking time if using frozen berries since they will release extra liquid.
- Lemon juice and lemon zest can be used in place of orange.
- Increase the amount of sugar to your taste or if using lemon juice.
Serving: 89g | Calories: 45kcal