Is there really a better way of waking up on a crisp Autumn morning than soft and fluffy Buttermilk Pumpkin Pancakes? If there is I haven’t found one. Made with pure canned pumpkin puree to save time, sweetened with a bit of brown sugar and flavored with a subtle hint of pumpkin pie spice.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 8 large pancakes
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour 197 g
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder 10 g
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3 tablespoon light brown sugar tightly packed, 44 g
- 1 cup pumpkin puree 234 g
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ cup buttermilk 360 g
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter melted & cooled, 28 g
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 200°F and set a baking sheet fitted with a wire rack in the middle of the oven.
Add flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and sugar to a mixing bowl. Mix with a whisk to distribute evenly.
In another mixing bowl, add pumpkin puree, egg, buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth with a whisk and pour the mixture into the dry ingredients. Fold quickly to form a lumpy batter.
Preheat a skillet or griddle on medium heat. Using a measuring cup, add a ½ cup of pancake batter on the skillet or griddle and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for about 2 minutes and 30 seconds until the top of the pancake is bubbling. The bottom should be cooked through and golden brown. Use a clean metal spatula to flip the pancake and cook the second side for another 2 minutes and 30 seconds until golden brown.
Transfer the pancake onto the prepared baking sheet in the oven to keep warm while you continue cooking.
- Use a large griddle or cook with two pans at the same time to speed up the process. Cook time is estimated with 2 pancakes going at the same time.
- Granulated sugar can be used in place of brown sugar, but I think brown sugar gives the pancakes a little more flavor depth.
- Use pure canned pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling which has sugar, spices, and other ingredients mixed in already.
- If you must grease your griddle, use butter for more flavor. However, I find that my pancakes cook more evenly without greasing the skillet, given that it is non-stick.
- Adjust the heat setting on your specific cooking device as needed if you see the bottom of the pancake burning before it has a chance to cook through.
Serving: 118g | Calories: 180kcal