Caramelized Sugar Dust
Caramelized Sugar Dust is sugar with an extra depth of flavor thanks to the caramelization. Make it for fun, use the caramelized sugar shards for decoration instead of making caramel dust. Or ground it up and use it in place of granulated sugar in your recipes for an extra oomph.
Prep Time1 min
Cook Time13 mins
Total Time14 mins
Servings: 2 cups
- 2 cup granulated sugar (365 g)
- 1/2 cup water (113 g)
Line a large baking sheet with a silicone baking mat and set aside.
Add water and sugar to a clean stainless steel sauce pan, do not stir. Cook over medium heat, swirl the pan to dissolve the sugar but do not stir, allow to boil, about 5 minutes. Turn the heat up to high and continue to cook until caramelized, about 8 minutes.
Pour caramelized sugar immediately onto prepared baking sheet and allow to cool until hardened.
Break up hardened caramelized sugar with a rolling pins into smaller shards. Add sugar shards to a food processor and pulse until finely ground.
Store in an airtight container.
- Do not stir to dissolve sugar or when caramel is boiling to avoid contaminating the caramel with a spec of food or dust from the whisk or spatula.
- Caramelized sugar shards can be used to decorate cakes and baked goods.
- Caramelized sugar dust can be used to replace granulated sugar in recipes.
- Calories estimated for a serving of 1 tablespoon.
Serving: 16g | Calories: 48kcal