Pack summer into a jar with this delicious chunky Peach Compote or smooth Peach Sauce. This recipe uses a combination of honey and brown sugar to sweeten and fresh rosemary to add subtle flavor. It’s a great way to use up left over peaches and is the perfect condiment to many breakfast and dessert dishes.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time32 mins
Total Time42 mins
Servings: 6 x 1/4 cup
- 2 large peaches about 1 lb, once peeled & diced yield 2 1/2 cup, 14 1/2 oz, 411 g
- 1/2 cup white wine 116 g
- 1/2 cup water 114 g
- 1 tablespoon honey 21 g
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar 15 g, tightly packed
- 1 sprig rosemary
- A pinch of salt
Wash peaches, remove the pit, peel and dice into bite size pieces. For this recipe, I used 2 large peaches which weight about 1 lb 1 oz whole. Once peeled and diced, they yield about 14 1/2 oz and fill about 2 1/2 cup.
Add wine, water, honey and sugar to a sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat, this will take about 3 minutes.
Add rosemary to the boiling liquid and reduce heat just slightly to keep the liquid simmering. Reduce the liquid to a quarter of what you started with, this will take about 16 minutes.
Remove the rosemary with a tong and add diced peaches to the reduced sauce along with a pinch of salt and let cook until most of the liquid has evaporated and peaches are tender, stirring occasionally. This will take about 12 - 13 minutes.
Turn off the heat and allow the sauce to cool.
Optional: puree the peach sauce in a food processor if a non-chunky, smooth sauce is desired.
- If sweeter sauce is desired or if the peaches you use aren’t as sweet, increase brown sugar or honey to 2 tablespoons.
- If using chunky style peach compote as a filling for hand pies, double the amount of sugar and honey.
- Wine can be omitted if you don’t want to use alcohol, it will take less time to reduce the liquid. But the final flavor will not be as bright. The wine brings out a brighter taste in the sauce. Add some lemon juice to bring it back.
- Feel free to play with different type of fresh herbs and spices to change up the flavor: basil, cinnamon basil, Mexican tarragon, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, vanilla extract, almond extract, maple syrup, caramel.
- Refrigerate for up to a week.
Serving: 114g | Calories: 63kcal