Lactose free Vanilla Ice Cream
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! But does your stomach scream back at you when you have just a scoop of that delicious frozen dessert? Well, don’t you worry because this Lactose free Vanilla Ice Cream will melt all your tummy troubles away. It’s made with real dairy milk and has all the delicious flavor and creaminess of regular ice cream yet none of the troubles associated with lactose!
Servings: 10 scoops (½ cup size)
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar 170 g
- 3 cup lactose free whole milk 740 g
- 1 whole vanilla bean
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch 15 g
- A pinch of salt
In the bowl of a stand mixer, add egg yolks and beat on low speed. Slowly add sugar and continue beating until light in color and creamy.
Add milk to a medium saucepan, reserving 2 tablespoons to mix with cornstarch in a small bowl to make a cornstarch slurry. Set the cornstarch slurry aside.
Split the vanilla bean with the tip of the knife and scrape out the seeds. Add both the vanilla bean seeds and pod to the saucepan with the milk. Heat over medium heat until simmering and temper into the egg mixture by adding just a little bit of hot milk, a few tablespoons at a time, to the mixture with the mixer on low speed. Allow to incorporate before pouring in more.
Once all of the hot milk has been added to the egg mixture, pour the entire liquid mixture back into the saucepan and heat on medium low heat until the mixture thickens and reaches 175°F - 180°This will take approximately 4 - 5 minutes.
About 30 seconds before you take the custard off the heat, pour in the cornstarch slurry set aside earlier while stirring, the custard will thicken further. If the cornstarch has settled to the bottom of the bowl, mix it up before pouring the slurry into the hot custard.
Take the saucepan off the heat and stir in a pinch of salt. Allow ice cream base to cool to room temperature uncovered and refrigerate overnight or until cold enough (39°F) to use in an ice cream maker. DO NOT PUT HOT MIXTURE INTO ICE CREAM MAKER.
Churn in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions. I churn mine for 20 minutes.
Transfer churned ice cream to an airtight container and freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.
- You can find lactose free milk at any grocery store. I have used the following brand personally: Lactaid, Horizon Organic, Organic Valley, Market Pantry, Lucerne.
- You can use regular whole milk, half and half, or cream to make a non lactose free version.
- You can substitute 1 whole vanilla bean with 1 tablespoon of vanilla bean paste, or 1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract. Vanilla extract needs to be added to the ice cream base when it is taken off the heat.
- DO NOT use imitation vanilla extract.
- Cornstarch is used in this recipe to enhance creaminess. Corn syrup could also be used for the same purpose. If you want to use corn syrup, replace ¼ cup of sugar with ¼ cup of corn syrup.
- This recipe yields about 1 - 1.5 quarts.
Serving: 106g | Calories: 165kcal