Soft and tender, melt-in-your-mouth Strawberry Scones, filled with juicy fresh strawberries and creamy white chocolate chips are the perfect brunch treats for spring and summer.
Servings: 8 scones
- 2 cup all-purpose flour 260 g
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar 67 g
- 1 large egg cold, ~55 g
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream or enough to fill one cup including the egg, cold, ~180 g
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup chopped fresh strawberries 173 g
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips 38 g
- Turbinado sugar for topping
Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Sift flour and baking powder into a medium mixing bowl. Whisk in sugar and salt until evenly distributed.
Add chopped fresh strawberries and white chocolate chips to the flour mixture and toss to cover the berries and chocolate chips in flour completely.
In a measuring cup, add the egg and enough cream to fill 1 cup. Add vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour in the liquid mixture, reserving about 1 - 2 tablespoons to use as egg wash. Fold with a spatula or wooden spoon until a shaggy dough forms.
Turn the dough out onto a well-floured board or countertop. Gently and quickly gather the dough together and shape into a circle about 1” - 1 ½” thick. Cut into 8 triangles.
Place the scones on the parchment-lined baking sheet, brush the top and sides with the reserved cream, and sprinkle generously with turbinado sugar. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Try not to add too much flour while working with the scone dough to avoid drying them out.
- This scone dough is soft and will spread a bit in the oven. If you want your scones to spread less, chill the dough in the refrigerator or freezer before baking or make it thicker before cutting.
- You can use a scone pan for this recipe.
- Optional glaze: 1 tablespoon of cream (or milk) + ½ cup powdered sugar (more or less for desired consistency) + a splash of vanilla + a pinch of salt.
- Refer to the post for more troubleshooting tips and FAQs.
Serving: 87g | Calories: 232kcal