These flaky and creamy Lemon Poppy Seed Scones with Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze are great for breakfast with a cup of coffee, or as an afternoon snack with a cup of tea. The smaller size of these scones also helps with moderating portion.
Lemon is such a versatile flavor that’s perfect for Spring and Summer, but will also last well into Fall and Winter. These Lemon Poppy Seed Scones are infused with lots of lemon zest for a big punch of refreshing lemon flavor. The lemon cream cheese glaze can be drizzled over the cool scones in any amount, so you can control the level of sweetness to your taste. These little scones will melt in your mouth with a satisfying tangy goodness that pairs well with tea or coffee.
Lemon Poppy Seed Scones Recipe Tips and Tricks
- What I love most about making scones is that there is no special equipment required, just a mixing bowl, a spatula and a tiny bit elbow grease.
- The batter will be wet, refrain from adding too much extra flour while patting and rolling out the dough to keep from drying it out. But use enough extra flour to keep it from sticking to your hand and counter.
- Instead of forming the mass of dough into a ball and roll it out, you want to pat the dough out and fold it over itself a few times to create some layers that will make it light and flaky.
- If you want to skip the cream cheese, you could make the glaze with just lemon juice. I would use about 2 tablespoon of lemon juice and adjust the amount of sugar until you get the desired glaze texture and sweetness.
I just adore citrus flavor anything, and these Lemon Poppy Seed Scones will sure add a little bit of sunshine to your morning. I hope you will enjoy these as much as I did.
More Delicious Scones
- Clementine Cream Scones with Clementine Glaze
- Orange Cream Scones
- Strawberry and Cream Scones
- Blueberry Scones
Did you enjoy this recipe? Let me know in the comment or shoot me an email! I also welcome any and all recommendation/request. 🙂
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 large egg + heavy cream to fill 1 cup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- 1 oz cream cheese - softened
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup powder sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar and lemon zest until the sugar turns slight yellow and fragrant.
- Add flour, salt, baking powder and poppy seeds to the sugar mixture and mix to combine.
- In a measuring cup, add the egg and enough heavy cream to fill 1 cup. Add vanilla extract and beat to combine.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour in the liquid mixture, reserving about 1 tablespoon to use as egg wash.
- Fold with a spatula or wooden spoon until a wet dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a well-floured board, flour top of dough and your hands, and pat the dough out about 1/2” thick. Fold the dough over itself and pat it out again, do this about 4 times.
- Shape the dough into a rectangle and roll it out to about 5”x8” or 6”x9”.
- Cut the rectangle in half length wise, then cut in three cross wise to make 6 squares. Cut each square diagonally to make 12 triangles.
- Place the scones on a parchment paper line baking sheet, brush the top and sides with the reserved cream, and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle come out clean.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the glaze, whisk together softened cream cheese and lemon juice. Slowly add powder sugar while whisking until a creamy glaze forms.
- Spoon glaze over the cool scones, as much or as little to your taste.