I’m a huge fan of breakfast on the go because for some reason I’m always running out of time in the morning. Whether I was at my corporate job with a one-hour-commute or working from home, I always end up grubbing in front of my computer. And these muffins are the perfect breakfast on the go, they’ve got a little bit of protein, some carbohydrates, some fiber, everything you need to jump start your day in the palm of your hand.
Now, let’s be clear here my friends. These are not cupcake size muffins; they are muffin size muffins or jumbo muffins if you will. But “jumbo” makes me feel like a glutton, so let’s just call them “regular” muffins, ‘kay? They still fit in the palm of my hand though… sort of…
To me, muffins are like cupcakes on steroid, but without the frosting (mm… it’s like having dessert for breakfast, and then having dessert again after dinner… omg dessert twice in a day, heaven!!!). These banana nut muffins are super moist and yummy with a little unexpected crunch from the walnut. And the brown sugar streusel gives kind of a caramelized top, perfect with the banana flavor. *pat self on the back*
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter – room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk – room temperature
- 1 large egg – room temperature
- 2 over-ripe banana – mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnut – coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter - cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Leave the stick of butter out on the counter a few hours before you start baking to soften.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a jumbo muffin pan with jumbo paper liner or parchment paper fashioned into muffin liner.
- Make the streusel first, add sugar, flour, and cinnamon to a small bowl and mix together. Add cold butter and use a fork to cut butter in the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside. If the kitchen is too hot, keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Sift or mix together the flour, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Add the egg, butter milk and vanilla in a small measuring cup and whisk together. Set aside.
- Add the soften butter and sugar in another mixing bowl and beat with the whisk attachment until fluffy.
- Add the mashed banana to the butter mixture and mix to combine.
- Add the milk/egg/vanilla mixture, mix until combine. Gradually add the flour mixture, scraping the side and bottom of the bowl as necessary.
- Once all the flour is incorporated, add the cup of walnut and distribute evenly within the batter using a spatula.
- Divide batter evenly in the 6-cup jumbo muffin pan. Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of the streusel over the top.
- Bake 25 minutes until an inserted toothpick in the center comes out clean.